Monday, September 21, 2009

Snake Attack

Last weekend I was following my regular routine of using beef jerky or chewing tobacco (Redman works best because of it's addictiveness) to catch perch on a small hook before sticking a larger hook through it's eyes and using it as bait to catch bass.After a while I noticed a small fish that had gotten tangled up in the banks on the far side of the quarry I was fishing, and, being the animalitarian I am, I had my fishing buddy keep an eye on my rod while I went over to help free the fish. I also had him watch my fishing pole, and while I climbing through the weeds he hooked and later lost what he said was the largest bass he'd seen. "Easily five pounds," he said. By the time I reached where the trapped fish had been, it was gone, and I assumed it had freed itself and was getting ready to hit my bait so I hurried back to fish. When I got back the fish was back up in the brush, this time a little further up the bank. At first I thought it may just be messed up on the tobacco I'd been fishing with but soon saw there was a large snake wrapped around it. I went back for a closer look and took these pics. I wasn't as scared as I normally would be around such a large snake (or a small one) and figured it'd have to spit the fish out of his mouth before attacking.
You can see the fish's fin and body coming out the snake's mouth. It's hard to see with the glare but the fish is at least foot long, which means the snake is six or seven feet long.

I showed some experts at the local animal control the picture and they assured me it wasn't the copperhead I though it was and rather a harmless, venomless, water snake. I think maybe that's what they're telling themselves to avoid having to go after it and am in the process of forming a vigilante posse of snake hunters so the women and children of the area can feel safe again. Let me know if you want in, I'm currently taking applications to join my snake-hunting force. In the words of Sir Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted: For hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success."

No comments:

Post a Comment