Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day?

Labor day is great. Unless you have to work on it. I had no idea why we, or most of us, get this day off so I looked it up on one of my favorite websites not devoted to pictures of Erin Andrews, Wikipedia. Apparently it was first passed through as a US holiday by President Grover Cleveland as an attempt to reconcile with the labor unions after he had unconstitutionally sent in the US Army to break up a strike in Chicago that ended with 13 strikers dead and another 57 wounded. Some people also see it as the end of summer, others as the beginning of another football season for sideline reporter Erin Andrews.

Expectations were high for the Chiefs on Labor Day of 1991.


I like to think of Labor Day as my last opportunity to wear white pants. My father, however, ignores any fashion laws and kicks it in white sneakers 12 months a year. I hope everyone had a great Labor Day, enjoy your final days of summer, beginning of football season, or support for your local union, whichever way to choose to celebrate it.

The best thing to come out of my Labor Day this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment